Seventy year old suffering from diarrhea and weakness. Prescribed dioralyte. No improvement. Worried?

Hi, My parents are both in their seventies, a few weeks ago (based on what ive been told) my mother began suffering with diarrhea, after a few days my father began to suffer similar problems. Its now been almost two weeks since my mother started to feel bad, and she says she is feeling better and not "running" as much, though she still feels drained. My father though seems to be getting worse, He feels drained, weak, is propped in his bed, mouth hanging open, and looks to have aged years. The doctor says he is dehydrated and for mum to give him Dioralyte every half hour, but he is having trouble drinking it. He needs help to sit up in order to stand to use the toilet and mother says he is shaky on his legs. I live outside the country and am here on holiday, they dont want me going there in case its something i could get. In all my life i have never known my dad to have anything more than a mild cold, and im worried.
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013