Serve, dull pain on leg, suddenly. Played sport. Is that the reason?

I can get this serve,dull pain in my lower right leg, mostly on the outside of the leg,not the calf . It is very sudden. Simply stepping on the ball of my right foot can set it off. Pain is so bad I have to drop to the floor. Typically I can limp on the leg in an hour, within 8-12 hours the pain is completely gone. The first time this happened was about 6 years ago, then 3 years ago and the about a week ago and then yesterday. Today I golfed 18 holes without any pain (though I rode in a cart as a precaution). There was no pain in the leg at all. There is no swelling in the leg. Three of the four times it happened shortly after waking in the morning. The other time it happened about 2 hours after I woke. I have done nothing out of the ordinary prior to the episodes. THe whole thing is very mysterious. Kinda of like a ticking time bomb. I would not be concerned, but it happened twice in less than a week, when before it was 2 or 3 years between episodes.
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012