Seeing bright lights in eyes when closed, feels light-headed. What is wrong?

Hello, Im having an issue with my right eye and need to know if I should go to the ER.I first noticed it last night.When i close my eye i see a light kind of to the right of my eye.The light is medium in size.When i open my eye it turns black and I can really see it while looking at this computer.I also have been feeling exstremly lightheaded off and on.My brain feels funny kinda like tickles or something all over my brain.Please help me with some advice.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Jun 2012
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hi msboisseau, what you are seeing are called scotoma and they are never a benign condition, you must visit an opthalmologist and get your self checked at the earliest. Take care!