Screws in femur bone previously. Getting it removed now. How long will I have to be off feet?

I am having hardware in my femur removed in March. 22 months ago I broke the head of my femur and had a long post put down my leg, with a screw to secure it at the bottom (which sticks into my muscle), and a shorter post sideways through the ball of the femur. The post at the top sticks into my muscle, and is bothersome. My question is, what can I expect in recovery time from my hardware removal? How long will I be off my feet? How well will I be able to climb stairs? My surgeon told me I would be on my feet the next day, which seems quite optimistic. I m wondering about function. I am needing to move into a new home before my surgery and wonder how long stairs will be a problem, and how much help I will need, as a I live alone.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013