Scratchy throat only during night, extreme discomfort causing tears, no pain, does not smoke or snore

Hi, I am a female, 32 yo. Last night I woke up with scratchy throat . It happens to me when I am sick, but at the moment I do not have cold or coughs. I happened to me about a moth ago twice ( two separate nights). Again I wasn t sick. It happens only during night and always awakes me. It is so scratchy that tears are running down my face - not from pain, just discomfort. It last only for a minute or so. Why is it happening?? I do not smoke or snore.
Asked On : Wed, 6 Jun 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
From your symptoms it appears like you are having Reflux which aggravates at night. It is usually presents as a small phlegm in the throat and makes u cough at night. If you are not having any other symptoms then this is most likely the cause.

I would advise you

-to take reflux medication

-drink plenty of water

-take less spicy food and less oil.

If these measure do not make u better then visit an ENT specialist.

I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Divya