Roof of mouth swelled, pain after eating pizza, gradually went away. Cause of swelling?

I just ate for the first time since dinner last Thursday (?) and, after consuming the first bite of a slice of pizza, the roof of my mouth instantly swelled up and was severely painful. I tried some ice chips and stuff like that, but it gradually seemed to go away after I did my best to swallow the rest of the pizza slice. That, however, was all I could eat due to the pain (and fear it may come back if I do eat more.
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013