Rolled my ankle. X-ray showed stress fracture. MRI report came normal. Why swelling?

So. I rolled my ankle at volleyball camp 2 years ago, rolling it inwards. It was swollen really big for about 3 months before going down to being just slightly swollen, but consistently swollen. Now about once a week or so, my ankle will catch in the back of my ankle, and it hurts to flex up and down. It s not so much pain that I can t walk, but it is of an annoying sort of pain and gives me limited movement before going back to normal , which happens anywhere between 10 minutes later, to the next morning when I wake up. This usually happens when jumping, on uneven ground, or if I sit down on the ground for a long time, generally during volleyball practices or hikes. So far I have gotten two X-rays, one showing a small stress fracture that has long since healed. I also got an MRI , not showing up anything too unusual, and an ultra sound on my ankle, again, nothing too weird. The only thing the doctor s really found was that my ligaments are slightly looser on my injured ankle, but they ruled that out as the catching problem . I have seen my RN, a family physician, a sports med doctor, an orthopedic surgeon, and been to someone at the Children s Hospital, and none know what is causing this. A REALLY tight tape job usually helps it stay in place, but Active Ankle ankle braces don t prevent the catching , but prevent rolling, which happens occasionally. They have ruled out loose cartilage , my ligament catching on a small fracture of some sort, or trouble with my peroneal tendon . Any suggestions or theories? We re stuck, and I m heading off to college next year hoping to compete in club volleyball. Help. -MJ
Asked On : Thu, 24 Jan 2013