Right leg swollen following heart valve replacement. On water pills. Serious problem with kidneys?

My brother had a heart valve replacement on Dec. 14 and now his whole right leg is swelled up. The Doctor ordered him STAT to hospital. They checked him over and sent him home with water pills and slow mag. The valve was put under the right arm , did not work, so put through groin . Before leaving hospital he was put on water pills and dialisis was mentioned because something going on with kidneys. However, they discharged him and said the water pills had worked. Now he has this major swelling in his right leg. I m concerned because he lives in Colorado (in the country) has no computer. He returns for appt. on Jan. 2nd. Should he be concerned? What would cause this? Could it be his kidneys? Concerned sister, Susan
Asked On : Tue, 1 Jan 2013