Thanks for your query.
Your problem is due to sprain
of the ankle/foot muscles with consequent swelling (collection of water in the tissues).
Sprain takes a long time (around 2 weeks to heal), provided adequate rest is given to the foot/ankle.
Hence, take the following steps :-
* 5 days' course of anti-inflammatory cum pain-killers (such as, a combination of ibuprofen
) THRICE daily to reduce pain and swelling.
* Tie an elastic crepe bandage (available OTC) extending from the toes to mid-leg level. Keep it tied the WHOLE DAY and remove only at bedtime. This should continue daily for 10-14 days.
* Elevation of the affected limb the whole night daily, till swelling disappears.
* Minimal weight on the affected leg.
* Warm compresses TWICE DAILY - in a strong solution of salt: 500gm of salt in 1/2 bucket of hot water. You can use the same solution daily by simply warming it to a tolerable temperature: immerse your foot in the solution for 15-20 minutes twice daily.
Sometimes, a sudden, violent stretching of the muscles can even case hair-line fractures
. Hence, it is mandatory to get an x-ray of foot + ankle done to rulu out a fracture.
Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agree with me, order required tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable treatment as advised.
In case of any further queries, revert back to me THROUGH DIRECT PREMIUM QUERY (Paid), addressed to me personally. You will receive- almost immediately- my response in great details.
If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” (5-star rating) to my answer, to ENCOURAGE all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.
Fond regards and have a nice day
Dr. Rakesh Karanwal