Right foot swollen after falling. Elevated foot, put ice. Hard to walk. Suggestions?

I was walking and almost fell with a year old in my arms. So, I was ale to grab a seat to keep from falling but my right foot is swollen on the top right half. I was walking for approximately 1.5 hrs after this happened today. I have elevated my foot and put ice on it for 15 - 20 minutes on and off (twice so far). I walked to the kitchen and its a lot harder to walk since I out the ice on it. Can I do anything to make this better?
Asked On : Thu, 1 Nov 2012
Hi there,

Your problem is due to sprain of the ankle/foot muscles with consequent swelling (collection of water in the tissues).

Sprain takes a long time (around 2 weeks to heal), provided adequate rest is given to the foot/ankle.

Hence, take the following steps :-

* 5 days' course of anti-inflammatory cum pain-killers (such as, a combination of ibuprofen + paracetamol) THRICE daily to reduce pain and swelling.

* Tie an elastic crepe bandage (available OTC) extending from the toes to mid-leg level. Keep it tied the WHOLE DAY and remove only at bedtime. This should continue daily for 10-14 days.

* Elevation of the affected limb the whole night daily, till swelling disappears.

* Minimal weight on the affected leg.

* Warm compresses TWICE DAILY - in a strong solution of salt: 500gm of salt in 1/2 bucket of hot water. You can use the same solution daily by simply warming it to a tolerable temperature: immerse your foot in the solution for 15-20 minutes twice daily.

Sometimes, a sudden, violent stretching of the muscles can even case hair-line fractures. Hence, it is mandatory to get an x-ray of foot + ankle done to rulu out a fracture.

Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agree with me, order required tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable treatment as advised.

In case of any further queries, revert back to me THROUGH DIRECT PREMIUM QUERY (Paid), addressed to me personally. You will receive- almost immediately- my response in great details.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” (5-star rating) to my answer, to ENCOURAGE all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Fond regards and have a nice day

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal