Resurfacing knot, unhealed cut with warmness post a month of treatment for injury on shin. What is the reason?

My son was playing baseball and slid into a pole. He had an open cut as well as a knot on his shin. After icing it for a day or so and cleaning it with peroxide and antibiotic ointment, the knot went down and the cut was healing . He has continued to play baseball. Now after a month, we notice that the knot is back and the cut hasn t completely healed. It is also warm to the touch. Planning to go to the doctor tomorrow, but could you give me an idea of what to expect?
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012
Thanks for choosing HCM.
It seems that the wound had not healed completely & his playing has worsened it.
Please give rest, hot fomentation to the part.He may need some antibiotics.
"Do not" clean the wound with an anti-septic like dettol/ savlon etc daily.
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Hi, Thanks for query.
It seems that now there is infection in old cut and may require antibiotic medicine course and proper dressing.
As you are planning to go to doctor,he will examine and will start necessary treatment.
Ok and bye.