Regular pumping, stopped breastfeeding, sharp pain shooting through breast, white waxy matter in nipple crevice. Normal?

Hello. I had a baby last Aug, and have been breast feeding since. About three months ago, I stopped nursing on the right breast, but continued to pump regularly (every 3-5 hours daily, excluding nights when sleeping). I noticed that the nipple is very painful. Sometimes, I have sharp pains shooting through my breast. Also, there is white, waxy stuff in the crevices of the nipple. I asked my OB/GYN about this, but she said it was fine. She said there was no evidence of mastitis or anything.
Asked On : Mon, 2 Jul 2012