Redness in eyes with apparent black dot above the cornea, swollen eyelids. What could it be?

On Friday evening I discovered a very small black dot that is visibly apparent. I didn t notice it until it became a constant aggravation for me. I believed it to be just typical foreign dust from work but tearing and flushing hasn t helped. My eye is red now and my eyelids swollen some. My only relief is to have my eye closed which is hard in itself because it makes my right eye desire to close as well. The dot doesn t appear to be anything that is puncturing the cornea but it does appear to be lying on top of it. I can see no shadow on the iris though. any ideas
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012