Redness in eye and how do I treat it?

I have a problem with redness in my eye it has stayed for some time now more than 4 days so what could it be and how do I treat it.
Asked On : Thu, 8 Oct 2009
Conjunctivitis commonly called "Pink Eye" and "Red Eye" is an inflammation of the conjunctiva (the outermost layer of the eye and the inner surface of the eyelids), most commonly due to an allergic reaction or an infection (usually bacterial, but sometimes viral). Early morning; your eyes may seem to be pasted shut due to the discharge coming from your eyes. Signs and symptoms would include 1) Redness in one or both eyes. 2) Tearing or discharge in one or both eyes that forms a crust during the night. 3) Itchiness in one or both eyes. 4) Blurred vision and Photosensitivity (sensitivity to light). 5) A gritty feeling in one or both eyes. It is caused by different factors. Viral conjunctivitis usually produces a watery or mucous discharge. Bacterial conjunctivitis often produces a thicker, yellow-green discharge and may be associated with a respiratory infection or with a sore throat. Both viral and bacterial types are very contagious. Bacterial conjunctivitis is more common in children than it is in adults. Allergic conjunctivitis affects both eyes and is a response to an allergy-causing substance such as pollen. Exposure to an allergen for allergic conjunctivitis is a risk factor, as is exposure to someone infected with the viral or bacterial form of conjunctivitis. Conjunctivitis may be contagious for seven to 14 days after signs and symptoms first appear. Since pink eye can be highly contagious for as long as two weeks after signs and symptoms begin, it's important to seek diagnosis and treatment early. Antibiotic eye drops if the infection is bacterial, and the infection should clear within several days of starting treatment. Antibiotic eye ointment, in place of eye drops, is sometimes prescribed for treating bacterial pink eye in children. An ointment is often easier to administer to an infant or young child than are eye drops. Practicing good hygiene is the best way to control the spread of pink eye. 1) Don't touch your eyes with your hands. 2) Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently. 3) Change your towel and washcloth daily, and don't share them with others. 4) Change your pillowcase often. 5) Discard eye cosmetics, particularly mascara. 6) Don't use anyone else's eye cosmetics or personal eye-care items. 7) Follow your eye doctor's instructions on proper contact lens care. Self-care a) Apply warm compresses to your affected eye or eyes. B) Avoid rubbing your eyes so that you don't release more histamine. C) In Allergic conjunctivitis use cold compress.
I have redishness on my left eye... please gimme the reason why it is happening? there is no ichiness or pain....