Reddish purple spot on skin post belly button piercing, white/light yellow pus discharge, allergy to nickle.

I had my belly button pierced in mid January, and now it appears to have some sort of infection . It began with a reddish-purple spot on the skin between the entrance and exit holes, and was oozing a white/light yellow pus , but no blood. I went to Florida over spring break, and the area became very dry and a small hole opened on top of the reddish-purple area. It is no longer oozing out the piercing hole, but now from the hole on the top. I was given some antibiotics and a topical treatment by my doctor. The jewelry is surgical steel, but I am allergic to nickle and I am not sure if that is contributing to the problem. Does this sound serious and do I need to remove the jewelry for it to heal? Thanks!
Asked On : Sat, 28 Apr 2012