Reddish itchy throat, reddish tonsils. Have thyroid removed in the past. Not able to locate epiglottis. Concerned

I have had some mild irritation in my throat for a few weeks now although there is no pain. Throat is red and itchy, tonsils are also red. When I stick my tongue out and move it around I can see my epiglottis pop up behind my tongue. Dont know if it matters or not but I had my right thyroid removed a couple years ago and have felt that lump in the throat sensation ever since but havent seen my epiglottis until recently. I am going to see my doctor but its causing me quite a bit of anxiety and I want to know if I should be concerned.
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013