Reddish itchy spots on the skin spreading to arms, ankles and torso. Do I need prednisone?

Hi, recently I developed small red spots on my skin that are extremely itchy. It started on my lower leg and has spread to my arms, ankles, hands, and even small spots on my torso. I saw a doctor yesterday and he said he saw a few people with similar symptoms recently and prescribed Prednisone. I don't think its anything severe but I am going on vacation Thursday and want the small red dots to go away. Will this help?
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013