Reddish bumps on the penis with pain. STD?

I ve been concerned that my boyfriend may have cheated on me. He developed raw and red bumps on his Penis shaft and then a few days later turned into scabs. It hurts him to have sex and everytime he even touches it. I was wearing my nuvaring the one night n he has gotten soreness from his Penis hitting it during sex, but the symptoms have airways gone away after a day. Please help.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013
Hello, thanks for using HCM.
Penile lesions can be of various causes including infectious as well as non infectious causes.
The infectious causes could be sexually transmissible or not with a hand full of possible non sexually transmissible causes.
Probable infectious causes include herpes which is an (std), impetigo (skin infection) etc. while non infectious causes include psoriasis,tumors etc.
However, it is very necessary to visit a doctor so as to be sure of what the problem is and for a definite treatment to be given. Meanwhile, it could be better to hold on with sex until your boyfriend's condition is diagnosed.
Best regards and hope he gets well soon.

General & Family Physician Dr. Namitha's  Response

Thanks for your query, hope you are doing well. Spots on the penis can be of different multiple causes. I suggest it is better to avoid sexual intercourse at this time. It would be sometimes very minor such as a hair follicle getting infected can also cause bumps that can disappear on its own. I would suggest the next time he gets it, please do consult a doctor. This can also help you in relieving your anxiety and finding the cause for the spots. I would suggest you talk to your boyfriend about in and about your worry.Hope you feel better.