Reddish brown mucus in stools, no change in diet, no pain or discomfort. What could be causing this?

Hi doctor, my name is Robert. I m 69 years old, 5 6 tall, weigh 140 lbs. During the last two weeks I ve noticed a redish brown mucus on my stools and on the toilet bowl. My stools are still medium brown in color. My diet hasn t changed and I haven t been eating any red foods lately. Although I m not in any pain or discomfort, what would be causing this and should I be concerned? Thanks for your help. Sincerely, Robert D. Schmidt YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, I would like to advise that you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated.

Following investigations may be helpful :-
1. Stool examination.
2. Colonoscopy.

Further medical management can be planned after knowing the reports of the investigations.

I hope this is helpful to you.