Red swelling on leg, tender to touch, ankle swelling, tingling in toe. Infection?

Since I worked in the yard 4 days ago, I got a red swollen area on my leg, that is tender to touch. My ankle is a little swollen now also. There doesn t seem to be a cut or wound. It doesn t itch . Skin is red and shiny. I can walk fine and my calf doesn t hurt when squeezed. It kinda tingles now in my big toe . I m worried that I might have an infection but should I go to the doctor or will it just get better.
Asked On : Tue, 2 Oct 2012
Hi , 

I completely understand your concern and I hope I am able to help you for the same. 
Looks like you have developed cellulitis over the leg. 
We can try conservative treatment first but if the condition continues to worsen , then you might need to consult a physician. 
Avoid touching it too much. 
Avoid using any kind of cold dreams or hair oils, as it might increase the lesion .
You can start using any topical antibiotic/antiseptic cream(like mupirocin cream) over the lesion for 2-3 days .
Take some pain killers along for relieving the associated pain and discomfort. 
Keep foot end elevated esp at night in order to prevent any swelling. 
Oral antibiotics are required if the cellulitis increases, which a dermatologist / physician can examine and suggest .

Take care, 

Wishing you speedy recovery, 

Dr Geetika Paul 

MD ( Dermatology)