Red, itchy watering eyes, also suffering from flu. Will OTC medication help?

Hi I have red itchy painful leaking eyes, one eye is significantly worse than the other and is a bit blood shot and really itchy/painful. I also have flu , i dont know if that has something to do with it? Can i get something from the supermarket for this as I can not get an appointment with my doctor and can not afford to take another day off work
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
It would have better for you to consult a physician,but according to you ,you cannot afford it. The red watwring eyes could be due to conjuctivitis or flue itself can cause red watering eye.
For red watering eye you can use steroid antibiotic combined ointment and for flue take antihistiminic and anakgesic ( pain killer) .
Hope this answers your question.