Red, dry skin behind knees. Itchy, bleeding. Serious condition?

How can i treat pink to red blotchy dry skin behind the knees and opposite of the elbows where legs and arms bend. It clears up then comes right back and appears to be very itchy. Behind his knees are the worse where red soars seem to develops, he scratches then it could bleed sometimes. It appears to look like the areas are really pink and raw. It has now spread to his cheeks where it looks dark rosy red colored. Just to keep these areas moist requires lots of aloe , non hyperallergin lotion I buy from whole foods. Does this sound like a serious condition? Sensitive skin or some kind of food allergy?
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012