Red bump over front teeth. Advised root canal treatment. Opinion?

I had some bleeding when brushing my teeth (very unusual for me) I thought it may be an alergy to a new toothpaste i started using.. Pronamel my teeth became so sensitive i had to use a staw to drink everything..(hot or cold) then i woke one morning my whole face was swollen.when to ER..and was diagnosed/treated for a sinus infection ..some swelling went down and I noticed a bump over one of my front teeth..pussey at times..I have since seen Doctor and dentist ..taken several rounds of Penicillen and Amoxicillian (?) and now on my 4th round of Doxycycline ..that seems to help the most(no puss now) just a red bump still remains. My dentist said I may need root canal or just rootcanal see if if goes away with these anibiotics ..if not to follow up with the root canal..ithink I may have cracked a tooth while eating (like biting onto a grain of sand) about 6 months ago..
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012