Red bump on cheek, popped, bleeding, redness. What is going on?

Today I had a regular red bump on my cheek, next to my lip, and it was very itchy and painful - I knew it was just another pimple . Throughout the day, I ignored it, until I got home, I noticed that it started filling up with pus; which I know is totally normal. Again, I checked later before I showered, and saw a large BB pellet sized ball on my face filled with puss. It was so tender and painful that I just left it alone. When I exited the shower, of course, it had opened and was bleeding , so I proceeded to finish cleaning it out. I pulled the skin away, and all that came out for a while was blood , until eventually a little bit of pus came out. I kept going until all that came out was blood, blood, and more blood. Nothing was coming out, but there was still stuff in the pimple. When I would touch it it was somewhat hard, but could be squished around. I took out a tiny bit more but there is still a bump - now it is all dark red/purple. Any idea what caused the pimple to get so big? Why was it hard, and not coming out? How could I prevent this from happening?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013