Red blotchy line running down left arm. What is the problem?

hi, I am 14 years old and I have been very sick the past four days and earlier today I noticed there was a red blotchy line running down my left arm , so I proceeded to tell my mother. After showing her this, she told me that when someone has that then they will soon die. This shocked me and scared myself to the point where I m asking you to possibly diagnose this problem.
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012
OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine 's  Response
Please cool down, you are not going to die for this reason of having a red blotchy line on left arm. Since you have recovered from a major illness, the line could be due to some clotting of blood in that area following pressure or positional change. There are a few problems related to blood clotting factors, platelets and blood vessel fragility during any illness which can cause blood to clot and slowly dissolve over a period of time to create the so called blotchy changes in that area, so if you are recovering it is a good thing and get going, just watch the blotchy line fade away!