Recurring spells of biting and crawling sensation under the skin above the ear. What could it be?

Hi doctor Im 65 and have always been an active/anxious person. A month ago, I experienced the strangest medical condition. Above my right ear the area to the left and right - about 10cms - I experienced the most awful irriting sensation of a biting crawling sensation under my skin. This persisted for about 10 days. I thought I would go insane - this eventually faded away but I still feel as though I have to have a scratch above the ear area occasionally, but the crawling biting sensation under the skin has gone or remains hidden under the skin. Any ideas.?
Asked On : Thu, 19 Jul 2012