Recurring sinus infection with fever, prescribed higher dose of amoxicillin. Will that make a difference?

I took Amoxicillin for 20 days for a sinus infection , and a week after I stopped, it came back, along with a fever (of around 101 degrees). The doctor prescribed a higher dosage of Amoxicillin (2000 mg twice a day), which stopped the fever in one day. But the underlying sinus infection persists after 48 hours at the higher dose. One doctor wants to shift me to Levaquin , which has worked in the past. But another worries about that idea because Levaquin has given me a flushed face in the past after the first 5 days. Any advice would be welcome. My worry is that my infection stems from bacteria resistant to amoxicillin, but I m not sure if I have given the higher dose enough time to make a difference.
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013