Recurring lump in mouth, x-rays showed blurred image. How do I determine what this is?

I have a recurring lump or knot on the inner left side of my mouth. It s hard to explain it s location precisely, it feels freely moving in that I can isolate it between my fingers with one finger inside my mouth & the other outside on my lower cheek near the jaw line. The knot isn t in the cheek itself, nor is it fully inside my lower jaw, & is about a fingertip width down into the jawline near where my left molar once was. The best I can describe is that it feels to be roughly 1 1/2x the size of a green pea, is sore to the touch but had I not touched my face I wouldn t have known it was there, and there is no consistency on when it occurs. I coincidentally had a dentist appointment the last time it cropped up and the technician was able to find it but the dentist had a hard time isolating it. They took extra x-rays but it just showed a slightly blurred or tinted image in the area. If I recall they said if it continues to give me problems then they could look into it further, since I was only there for a cleaning. The problem is that I never know when it s going to flare up & I can t get into the doctor at the drop of a hat to have it checked out! How do I determine what this is and how to treat it, if necessary?
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012