Recurring itching on the shin. Used cortizone in the past. Not responding to steroid creams now. Why?

I have a recurring itch on my right shin. I was told I had this as a young child and my mother treated it with some sort of cortizon ointment. When it seemed to come back during the last few years the itch would normally be light for a day or two and then get intensified to the point where I'll itch until the skins breaks.
I tried using some low strength cortizon cream for a week but could not notice any real effect.

The itch tend to come and go. I might be itchy for about 4-5 days and then not itch for a week or two and then come back again.

What could it be?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013