Recurring diarrhea, might be due to stomach infection. Negative strep test. Treatment options?

I have had diarrhea for the past 3 weeks and it not constant, it goes away and then comes back shortly after. This is getting to be really strange, because I have only been diarrhea free for 3 days before it came back to haunt me again. I went to the doctor this past Thursday and they said it probably a stomach bug. I should also mention whole I was there I had gotten both. a negative four test and negative strep test. I guess my question is why am I having diarrhea so frequently and is there anything I can do to stop it from recurring so quickly?
Asked On : Wed, 26 Dec 2012