Recurring back injury on slight twisting and bending, feel knocked out from knees to legs. What could be wrong?

Hello, I am a 44 year old male. I have this reoccuring back injury . I have had it hit me many times, at least two or three times a year. When it does I am literally knocks to my knees, my legs drop out from under me and It the becomes progressively worse for about two two three weeks before it even starts to feel better. It stems from where my spine and pelvis join. When it happens, It feels like a guitar string is being plucked hard, I feel it in my testicles and kidneys, almost like being kicked in the sack. All it takes is the slightest twist, bend or simply looking down bending my neck . Then legs buckle literally dropping me to my knees. I am in for at least a month of horrible pain. I can barely walk during the progression of the pain. Just turning my head to look over my shoulder has set it off, or putting a dish in the sink. This time round i was simply bending to change a battery cable in a vehicle. I felt it happening and stopped immedietly. This stopping did not help. Can anyone help me, What is wrong with my back? Thank you, Shannon Willett
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

Thanks for the query. Given the position in which you have sustained the symptoms, as well as the specific location where you initially feel the pain (junction of spine and pelvis), it is prudent to rule out a sacroileitis, or inflammation of that specific joint that connects the pelvis with the penultimate big bone of the spine, called sacrum. Analgesics, antitinflammatories and sometimes local steroid injections can be used if this is the case, along with physical therapy. MRI is a useful imaging modality to confirm.

Hope that helps, wish you the best,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN