Recurrent rash behind ear, yellow discharge, itching, tried ointments, no relief. What could this be?

Hi - I have sore/ rash (not really sure what to call it) behind my right ear. It s like there s a split where the back of my ear meets my head and it oozes yellow discharge, which causes that spot to itch & scab over. I ve been battling this for about a month or so now. I try peroxide & triple antibiotic ointment & hydrocortisone cream. It always gets ALMOST completely better but then starts oozing again. I have an appointment set up with my dermatologist next week, but was just curious if you had any insight as to what the problem could be. Thanks you!!!
Asked On : Mon, 5 Nov 2012