Recovering from chest infection. During coughing it feels like my epiglottis got stuck. Making loud whooping sounds while gasping for breath, then with enormous burp expel air.

I am recovering from a chest infection (3 weeks ago). Current problem is that during coughing fits in the middle of the night, it feels like my epiglottis gets stuck. I make loud whooping sounds while gasping for breath but only a little bit of air gets to my lungs. The rest ends up in my stomach. I can be quite certain of this as I then have an enourmous burp to expel the air. Usually this knocks my throat back into normal working order. Last night it took ages to right itself and is very scarey.
Asked On : Sat, 21 Apr 2012