Recovering from an operation to remove cancerous cells in his lungs, kindly suggest

A friends father is very sick; recovering from an operation to remove cancerous cells in his lungs; has problems breathing (needs oxygen tank ) and peed in the bed (immobile). His wife is too sick to care for him. An aide helps him 4 hrs a day. He is in CA. Can t afford private nursing home. The social worker suggested that the only way he can go to a nursing home is through referral from emergency room services. Is it appropriate to call 911 to send him to emergency room? He seems to have medicare/medicaid and CA state insurance card.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Nephrologist 's  Response
Thanks for the query

Yes please take him to the emergency room to stabilize him. He looks like he is very critically ill.
I could have helped u better if u had told me his vitals
Make sure the hospital u r taking to has that insrance facility

Have a healthy living