Recently fractured ankle, malleolus. Why is foot purple and swollen?

My sister recently fractured her right ankle(malleolus? 3 separate fractures and a tendon torn requiring surgery). She does not have a cast post surgery. She is on no weight bearing for 8 wks post surgery. Here is my question, her foot is peeling chunks of skin? what causes that? Also the foot is swelling and purple after being up for only a few minutes to go to the bathroom. Is this circulation problem? should she call the surgeon?
Asked On : Wed, 22 Aug 2012