Recently diagnosed with hypothyroid, had varying skin shades on the neck. Could this be due to thyroid?

Hi. I am a (soon-to-be) 62-year old female who has been recently diagnosed as hypothryoid. What is perplexing me is that for the last 7 years the skin on my neck (just above the thryoid) has been varying from slightly red to dark red (but does not itch nor look like a rash ) and I d like to know whether this is due to my thyroid or to some other condition. I just recently had a cold for two days and this area became really bright red and itchy for the first time and remainded so for only those two days. The area is back to being slightly red.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013