Recently been diagnosed with visual variance dementia. Hypothyroidism. Why does gum cause pain?

Hi! My mom has recently been diagnosed with visual variance dementia , but also has many of the symptoms of Hashimoto s Thyroiditis . Specialists at the Mayo clinic suspected the auto-immune disease because she has been hypothyroid for several years and a cause has never been treated (is regulated with medication ). Her levels also indicated possibility of Hashi s. She has an appointment with an endocrinologist in one month. My real question is she recently has started getting puffy type sores along her gum lines that don t cause pain, that appear and disappear, but are not open. Her PCP said she had never seen any like them before. Could this be one more symptom pointing to the diagnosis of Hashi s, or just wishful thinking? (we are hoping to be able to treat for Hashi s and have some of her symptoms improve.) Thank you for any information.
Asked On : Tue, 28 Aug 2012