Received heart cath. Internal bleeding. Went into liver shock. Received blood. Is this rare?

My mother recieved a heart cath about a month ago and internally bleed throughout her body. Her blood pressure dropped. She was put into a medically induced coma . If that is even said right. She went into liver shock. Her kidneys shut down. She was losing as much blood as they put in. In all she recieved over 40 pints of blood. She had a second surgery out of nowhere. Her stitch in the artery would not hold. He grafted another piece of artery on. She survived that surgery when they said that it was possible for her to die. She is still in the hospital but out of I.C.U. Her kidney function may return and she is eating now.. My question is....Is this a rare thing?
Asked On : Fri, 13 Apr 2012