Reason for intermittent blood clots in urine? Had stone removed, stent removed from urethra tube

I have intermittent blood clots in my urine. There is never any pain. Sometimes the clots are cherry red and floot and other times darker in color and sink. I had a stone crushed and removed in July 2012. A stent was put in the uretha tube for about a week. Bleed like crazy for a couple of days once tube was removed and it cleared up. The intermittent episodes have been occuring for about three months. Three or four days without clots one or two days with clots.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013

As you have history of ureteric calculi,there could be a possibility of recurrent calculi or urinary tract infection.

Here are the few causes of macroscopic hematuria that should be ruled out:

The most common causes of hematuria are:
-Urinary tract infection
-Ureteric calculi with or without hydronephrosis
-Bladder stones
-Kidney stones or ureter stones
-Benign prostatic hyperplasia, in older men, especially those over 50
-Acute Glomerulonephritis

Do you have fever?Do you have any other symptoms like abdominal pain,burning micturation?
Do you have any other medical illness like renal calculi or diabetes,hypertension?What is your age ?
I would like to suggest USG KUB,urine examination for proteinuria,casts,WBCs,Morphology of RBCs.
This information could help to come to a conclusion.

Get a Nephrologist opinion for clinical correlation.

Hope this could help you.

Wish you good health.