Reason behind suggestion that a person with thyroid problems should not eat soya based protein?

Hi Dr. I have been told many a times that a person suffering from Thyroid problems, either Hypo or Hyper should not take soya based protein . Is there any valid reason behind this? Does this mean they should not touch soya beans or any soya based product? Since soy is one of the richest sources of protein, and for vegetarians who are already lacking in protein as a major part of their diet , how does one manage? - Raj
Asked On : Sat, 29 Sep 2012