Reactive airway due to virus. Taking xopenex medication. Chest X-ray clear, spirometry normal. Okay to use inhaler?

I have a reactive airway from a virus for the past 3 weeks. Had spirometry done (normal) and clear chest X-ray . No fever, clear mucus / post Neal drip....causes gagging, coughing, laryngeal spasms. Taking xopenex to open airway (works well) and on last to days of Medrol pack. Only problem is the xopenex makes me very jittery, extreme fatigue,headache, increased HR until it starts wearing off after about 3-4 hours. At about 5 hours I can feel my airways starting to constrict...I try to get to 6 hours so I can avoid the side effects. I have been using the inhaler every 6 hours for the past couple of weeks. Questions 1. Is it ok to keep usIng like this until the virus is gone....repeated side effects? 2. Can one become dependent.....therefore needing every 6 hours or is it because there is still illness and the inhaler simply wore off? 3. Is an antihistamine like Zytec ok to take to try to dry up the PND?
Asked On : Tue, 10 Jul 2012