Re-sprain in the ankle with swelling and pain. No x-ray taken. Fracture?

My son is 5ft 11 inches, weighs about 175, 23 years old and in military. He twisted his ankle about three months ago playing racket ball. When he fell during the racket ball game from the ankle he passed out for a few moments. Well, he refused to go the doctor because he was out of the county and treated it as a sprain. Well, now he is back in the states and has twisted his ankle again, didn’t blackout this time but have some type of shaking after the incident. He did go have it check by someone on base but they refused to x-ray the ankle. They told him he had re-sprain it. There was little swelling with each event. Basely they have told him to continue to walk on it as usual, they did tell him to RICE for 12 hours. He tells me it still hurts but he is going to suck it up and keeping walking and working the way his ankle is right. I am concern there may be a hairline fracture or severe ligament damage, any suggestion? I just do not want my son to suffer with long term damage to his ankle, if it can be prevent. He has to use the on base medical care or that is what he tells me. Thanks for your help! Genevieve
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013