Rashes, strange sensation underneath skin, redness, sore throat, mucus, losing sleep. Is it meningitis?

Hi Stephen, we live in the UK and my husband has a number of strange symptoms, which might be something and nothing. First of all, he has a rash on various parts of his body, now barely visible in some areas and is in quite a bit of discomfort. He said it feels like pins underneath his skin on his arms and legs, and now torso. He s been to see a GP (who was very young and probably fresh out of med school) and she didn t have any idea what it was. We went to the Chemist (Boots) and he verified it was somekind of allergic reaction but we are worried that it might be something more serious. We ve recently ruled out Meningitis , but other symptoms have been a sore throat with a build up of mucus , subsided now. He was worried it could be ring worm as a colleague at work had severe ringworm a couple of months ago but as he s in the care business (Social Services, Adults with Learning Difficulties) they sleep over on certain shifts and use the same bed. Even though he has unusual red lines on his shin area, and red dots on his arms and legs and discolouration on his feet, there isn t a definite ring that we can see, so we have ruled out ringworm. For the last week, my husband has had extreme flatulance which is unusually smelly which indicates to me that there is something wrong. He has fairly soft stools and is very embarrassed about passing wind when he s at work, because people have commented on the smell. He has had occasion headaches, but what is very worrying is that he has had a fair amount of pain in his penis and soreness inside (to use his words). He s had pain on and off for the last few days but sometimes it s alleviated through drinking lots of water, which I make him do. When he was a little boy was passing blood in his urine because he never drank water. We phoned the UK s NHS Direct and a nurse talked through my husband s symptoms for the rash, and she advised that he has a viral infection. Do you have any idea what this could be? Many thanks for your time, Liz & Gary
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013