Rash on the penis worsened by using canesten. Not herpes or HPV. What is it?

Hello, I have a rash on my penis . It has been there for over three weeks now and besides the visible rash, there are no other symptoms. I went to my family doctor and he said it is not herpes and doesn t look like HPV , but took swabs nonetheless. They both came back negative. He told me to go buy Canesten, which I did and used it for a week. However, within two applications the rash seemed to get worse, and there was an onset of slight itchiness. I stopped using it after 6 or 7 days and the itchiness stopped, but the rash is still there, and looks slightly worse.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013