Rash on pips, burns, allergic reaction. Using petroleum jelly. What can be done?

I have had a repeated rash on my lips which burns like a sun burn and has small bumps. It starts from the inside and eventually progresses outward and usually lasts about a week. During that time I have to be careful what I eat. Certain foods and condiments (ketchup, BBQ sauce, spicy foods) cause my lips to burn. I am wondering if it is possibly that the rash is an allergic reaction to a food such as peppers. I have avoided any lip gloss or lipsticks and am using only petroleum jelly products to eliminate the possibility of an allergy to any of those products. Any lip products with menthol causes the condition to burn. I have also switched to children's toothpaste because regular adult pastes also burns my tongue and lips during this time.
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013