Rash on lower back, swollen ankles, itchiness, burning. What can it be?

My mother had started with a rash on her lower back which - red, blotchy and with bumps which is extremely itchy and burning. Then it spread to arms and now on her lower legs. Her ankles are also extremely swollen. She has gone and see 2 dermatologists who claim it might be a type of exzema but yet the lotions prescribed are not helping. One of the dermatologist has done a biopsy in which we are still awaiting results but she really cannot take the itchiness and burning any longer. What can it be. I do not believe it is just exzema. Help
Asked On : Mon, 22 Oct 2012