Rash on inner arms spreading to tummy and legs, persistent barking cough, diagnosed as viral rash. How long will it take to subside?

Hi, I have a rash which started on my inner arms over a week ago and has now spread down my tummy and legs right down to my feet over the past week, I also have a persistent barking cough which is more prone to irrupt at night time while sleeping, my GP said it is a viral rash, my question is how long will it take the virus to leave my body? and is it normal for a viral rash to last for over a week, can I take something for it or rub anything on the spots to help the healing process? Many thanks.
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012