Rapid heartbeat while doing work. Feeling tired. What should be done?

For the last couple days my heartbeat has been rapid when I m not really doing anything. For example after I stretch in the morning when I m waking up. I do workout 4 days a week but I don t eat right. I missed 3 days in the gym last week because I was out of town. This week I felt extra tired in the gym and my heart felt funny when it was beating rapidly
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi there, Thanks for writing in. I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. Rapid heart rate at rest can be due to any other cause like sinus tachycardia due to anxiety or conditions like hyperthyroidism. At times episodes of Paroxysmal Supra Ventricular Tachycardia, lasts for hours that one feels that during work heart rate is notably fast. Onset and off set You need to see your doctor, who will perform complete general and systemic examination and Electrocardiogram. He may go in for tests like echocardiography and Holter depending on the need to establish the diagnosis. Once the diagnosis is made treatment is simple if there is underlying condition like hyperthyroidism that should be treated. Additionally doctor may start on calcium channel blockers or beta blockers. Condition is cause for concern not for panic. Good Luck
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)