Random thumps in chest, history of murmurs. Possible causes?

Hi doctor i have been getting strange and random thumps in my chest as of recently, I do have a heart murmur and have always had one as far as I can remember. I am 25 yrs old female and the thumps are very alarming and frightening. I am a recent nursing student graduate and am aware of the heart conditions but am trying to figure if this is something normal being that I have a history of murmurs .. Most have told me this could be a premature contraction and nothing to worry about.
Asked On : Fri, 21 Dec 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear patient,

Thanks for your concerns. Common things being common, the symptoms might be related to premature atrial contractions (most common) or premature ventricular contractions; nevertheless, a short duration arrhythmia can't be completely ruled out. If the episodes are almost daily, a Holter monitor can correlate with symptoms; if they are more infrequent, usually we recommend an event monitor. If your cardiologist finds that there are only premature contractions, then that would provide both of you with peace of mind

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN