Random, itchy bumps on the body, suspicion of scabies. Which tests can detect the same?

I noticed about a week ago I had small bumps randomly on my body that were very itchy. They seemed to spread to my back, sides, and hips mostly, and then I had a few on my stomach , breasts, legs and feet , and jjust noticed 3 between my fingers. I went to a walk in and the Dr. Barley looked at me, and said she wants to treat me for scabies , even though, and I quote, chances are that s not what you have, but what the heck. Its a very long process, do you think I should do it anyways? She said there s no real way to tell if you have scabies, is this true?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jun 2012