RA, fibromyagia, diverticulitis, bad infection in intestines, diarrhea, sickness. Have been on methotrexate. Help?

I have been on methotrexate for 14 years, plus other drugs for my RA and fibromylagia. I was in the hospital one month a go with bad stomach pain in the lower left part of my stomach for one week, they said that I had a very bad infection in my intestines, did a cat scan saying it was diverticulitis. They took me off methotrexate and plaquenil immediately saying it could be the cause of it, I ended up with very bad uncontrollable diarrhea then after a week of being so sick in the hospital it stopped and I have been fine every since, no pain in stomach and go to the bathroom daily without diarrhea. My RA doctor left it up to me to go back on the methotrexrate but hold off the plaquenil, but if I got diarrhea to stop it again. I was originally told to never go off the methotrexrate that the RA would become very active again and possibly worse, which scares me, I don't want to go backwards. I was told 14 years ago that I would be in a wheel chair and I told the Dr. I would not, I walk three to four times a week two miles, and actually do pretty well. My question is in stopping the methotrexrate is this going to cause more problems, can't seem to get an answer from my doctors. Thanking you in advance, Gloria Porter
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013